replacing back catch leathers.

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:09:38 EST

In a message dated 10/29/01 10:31:30 PM, ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< It
will need to be replaced in the future.  Hide glue will soften easily for
removal of old leather.  >>

I thought about that, and you're right, of course.  I know this is something
I have to do (learn how to make/use hide glue)  There were three things that
I put off as long as I could:  #1 was removing and replacing a spinet action
(which turned out to be not so difficult), #2 was splicing a string (took
some practice, but do-able), and the last was using hot hide glue.  I even
bought a glue pot this summer.  I need to schedule a lesson with the local
RPT and make some glue with him.

As far as these backcheckers were concerned, my rationalization for using CA
glue was that no one would ever need to replace them again, the piano being a
1949 Betsy Ross.  (Would you do any rebuilding of a 75 year-old Betsy Ross in
the year 2025?)

Tom Sivak