replacing back catch leathers.

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:05:15 +0100

Hello,

I remember I've seen in the Journal reprints something about hot hide glue,
where the important thing was not to cook it too high temperature, that any
temp higher than 75°c (sorry I may check to see in F°) , will be bad for the
glue.
Afterthat (after initial cooking) the use temperature would be around 65°c

Personally I take a mix from pearls of nerve glue (for hardness) and pearls
of skeleton glue (sorry don't found the word). Depending of the job I mix
1/3 2/3, or less, I add some urea sometime (5%weight), but once added, the
glue can't be cold them warmed again. If no urea one can use some urine as
it was done in the shop at the last century (never done that actually !)
This to slow the gelling time.

The glue is well moisten after a night, but 4 hours is well enough, and if
in a hurry, you can add hot water on the pearls .

What I use if I want to keep the glue for some days, is a conservative agent
used in paint restoration, just use a little and I don't have mushrooms on
my glue.

I use it for many things, but I discover recently the Caurit glue for
hanging hammers, and I like the time it allows for work, plus expanding
possibilities. I am willing to glue a full hammer head in less than 1 hour
 + tails shaping). Now it is almost twice ...

Regards.

Good hot glue

Isaac