Temperament Arguments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:34:23 EST

David writes:
<< My point was that many HT's make an arbitrary choice about which keys will
have more "intensity" due to decreasing sonority as one moves through the
circle of fifths and away from the key of C.

   Arbitrary?  I think not!  The well-temperaments are not arbitrary at all,
they all obey the same basic rules that Werkmeister published.  Intensity can
be ameliorated by using a 10th instead of a 3rd,easily enough, but arbitrary
denotes a more random approach than the range of WT's exhibit.

>>That choice may not always be appropriate.  Chopin's etude in Ab, the so
called Butterfly Etude, I don't think benefits from HT's that create more
dissonance, as it were, in that key.  <<

It will help to remember that the keys with the more tempered thirds also
have the more pure fifths. The melodic line of pure intervals has its own
effect.

>>Neither would the Nocturne in Db.  That is not to say that the piece would
be wholly unpleasant or that a pianist couldn't give a satisfactory
performance.  But the arbitrariness of which keys vary and how becomes
evident in such a case.  We could, afterall, choose to have the key of F#
with the most sonority and increase the dissonance as we move toward the key
of C. <<

  We could, but there is no evidence thaat Brahms or anybody else used such a
temperament.  (this was a thought when we chose to use a DeMorgan for the
Chopin piece on "6 Degrees",  I think it was a failure)

>>Ed's point that I was commenting on was that modulation needed the benefit
of a change in key color to be interesting, and that modulation away from the
tonic benefited from a greater intensity offered by HT's. <<

   My point was not that modulation 'needed' a change in color to be
interesting.  My point was that modulation's effects were enhanced by the
changes.  Modulation away from tonic may or may not create a greater
"intensity", it may also move to a more serene harmony, depending on the key
choice of the composer.

>> But it is hard to get away from the notion that if we use temperaments
that create distinct differences between keys, we are imposing our own values
about the composer's intention more than we would be in ET.  >>

  This is only true if you can offer a plausible argument that the composer
was using or thinking in ET.  And that is hard to do with composers that
worked before ET was remotely possible or historically indicated.  It is
fairly difficult to support that Bach used ET, so for us to play his music in
ET is a far greater impositon of values than the use of any of the WT's.
Regards,
Ed Foote