Spurlock Damper Design

Dale R Fox foxpiano@juno.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:06:16 -0700

Sorry Newton,
	I used spring rail felt on two jobs and lived to regret it both times.
The glue didn't fail.  The felt split apart.   Looked like such a good
idea at the time:-}     Glad you've had better fortune.

Dale F

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:47:38 -0400 Newton Hunt <nhunt@optonline.net>
writes:
> > Do not use spring rail felt under any
> > circumstances,  unless it is your desire to go back to that piano
> > periodically and reglue the dampers that have fallen off where the
> felt
> > has seperated.
>
> I would not likely use name board felt for this type of job but I
> would not use
> a woven cloth either.  Spring rail felt would definitely be my
> choice of
> material because it is not densely felted, it is very flexible and
> there is
> little to no lateral stress on the felt to imperil or impair it's
> integrity.
>
> THe only problem I can image is poor glue joints.  Here I would use
> PVCE or hot
> hide (hide my choice) and make certain the consistency is such that
> it will not
> soak the spring rail felt or not so thick that it will not adhere
> well to the
> felt.
>
> I have used some nice spring rail felt as under felt for grand
> dampers for years
> with no problems.  I have done only one custom damper setup for an
> upright and
> that worked out well as well.
>
> Just my $9.02 worth, for free, and you know what 'free' is worth.
>
> 		Newton

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.