Old S&S vertical

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 01:19:13 -0700

Phil,
"Museum Quality"??? The only Museum Pianos I've ever seen may have been =
Historically significant, in one way or another, but for the most part =
they were Junk as musical instruments. The "Museum" is the last place I =
want to see/hear a piano. Just my opinion. As for value, if we can keep =
the hacks and antiquey types out of it we are usually able to ascertain =
a fair market price on any given instrument, by thorough evaluation and =
a conversation with a reputable dealer, in the area of sale.
regards,
Joe Garrett
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: philromano@attglobal.net=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2001 1:46 PM
  Subject: Old S&S vertical

  Hi List,
  =20
  Yesterday i saw an interesting old steinway vertical. 85 note (is this =
an E model or F....) serial # 40767.The tech manual dates this as  circa =
1878.Beautiful burled walnut (I think it's Walnut) veneer. Had been =
refinished a number of years back and the job was pretty good. Very =
little done to action. A few damper felts and a few dozen clip on bridle =
tapes have been replaced. Some broken flanges worn hammers etc. I only =
gave it a cursory inspection but it was eveident that no major work had =
been done to action,  strings, board or bridges. Of course the owner =
said it had been "completely overhauled" and the tech who did the work =
informed her it was in "Mint condition" She wants to sell it (for =
$11,000!!!!). I tried to be diplomatic and explain that it had in fact =
not been "overhauled" and attempted to show her why. She claims to have =
talked to the factory and they told her it was worth $15K. I asked if =
she had given them the serial # and she said they told her they didn't =
use the number to determine the value anymore! This piano would likely =
be a museum quality piece (my opinion) if properly restored.
  =20
  Coincidentally, I own a similiar piano. # 39551. Same year and largely =
the same condition. Mine however is a rosewood cabinet and not nearly as =
aesthetically pleasing. I've been holding on to it for years vowing to =
start working on it as soon as I have the extra cash!
  =20
  What kind of actual value do you think these pianos have?=20
  =20
  =20
  Phil Romano
  Myrtle Beach, SC