Verituner

Sun, 02 Sep 2001 22:42:47 +0200

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

>> The first tuning with the VT was
>> was stunning!

> I've read most of what has been said about this.  While I'm not
> saying that
> this new ETD is not somehow more advanced than previous ones, I
> tend to side
> with the aural tuning perspective.  The "stunning" sound that
> comes from a
> higher degree of precision can just as easily be achieved
> aurally.  It's all
> in whether the person doing the tuning wants to work on that
> high of a level
> or not.

......snip snip

> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison, Wisconsin

I think, Bill,  I would have to aggree. I dont feel I can say I
am quite there yet...but I certainly believe...no I know that it
is possible to learn to out-tune even the best of ETD's...no
matter how good they get.  As long as they are following an
algorithm...they are bound by it and can achieve no better then
that algorithm allows for. They can never be creative. And that,
in the end is decisive.

On the other hand, they are capable of certain aspects of the
tuning process we are not capable of, and they can display much (
if not all ) of this information in a way that can augment what
our ears tell us. As learning tools they have tremendous
potential...probably a lot more then most use them for. What they
can teach us tho... can help us rely on them less and less as
time goes by.

Verituner succeeds probably exactly because it treats the piano
tuning in more the same sense as the human ear/mind combination
does. It does not simply assume that a calculated curve of one
(and only one) partial based on the sampling of two or four or
six or however many notes,  will result in a satisfactory tuning.
It seeks to surpass this technology...which I believe has come to
its logical conclusion. No one can deny that the single partial
calculated curve approach works well. All honor to Sanderson and
friends for that. But as all other things.... something better
was bound to come along.

At least thats how the picture is beginning to look... to me that
is...hehe IMHO and all that I am sure...:)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.