stability of pitch raises (not Ron's question. sorry)

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:33:55 -0700

Kent Swafford wrote:
> ... Keep in mind that the original instructions
> for using the SAT and RCT pitch correction modes involved chromatically
> tuning A0-C8 pulling in unisons as you go, _and_ the instructions
> specifically said not to set the string, to simply pull the string up to
> where the display stops, then let go. Letting go of the hammer without
> setting the string was a technique for speed that resulted in more drop...

Kent,

This is a most important piece of information which I've not seen in the
RCT manual and, to my knowledge, has never been mentioned by Dean. I had
written more than once to ctuner list about my experience with pitch
raising being somewhat different (I always choose -3¢ to -5¢ in the
pitch raise dialog box) but never've had any explanation of why I should
be getting unsatisfactory results using the default percentages of
overpull. Now I know that it's because I've always done at least some
settling of the pin in pitch raise mode. Gaaaa!

Many thanks for this great hint. I look forward to faster pitch raises.

Tom Cole