stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:57:24 -0400

> I don't always charge for a pitch adjustment (guess that means I'm not
> invited to comment here), but I am not offended by the practice of other
> techs who charge for pitch raises in order to "punish" the customer
because
> it's been too long since the last tuning.

And I trust you are aware that many techs that do charge extra for a pitch
raise do so not to "punish" a piano owner, but rather because raising the
pitch of a piano and then tuning requires more work than tuning an
up-to-pitch piano, and therefore more time. And time is money. I don't care
if someone last tuned their piano two years ago or 102 years ago. If it is
50 cents flat I will charge them $40 for a pitch raise plus my regular
tuning fee. No punishment involved.

Terry Farrell