Pitch lowering - Was: stability of...

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:23:22 -0400

Roger,

Yes, if I felt lowering the pitch was necessary as a separate pass, I would
charge, but in most cases I would do as you say you do.  I think it's been
referred to as "floating the pitch."

Little story:  In March 1998 I gave a brand new studio piano what was probably
its very first tuning after leaving the factory.  The leave them sharp, don't
they?  Even though this was during a season when pianos in this area are
usually at their flattest, it was up to 48c sharp.

I left it 10c sharp, since it was new and likely to drop in pitch anyway.  Five
months later it was to 25c sharp, and I again left it 10c sharp because now we
were in the most humid part of the year.  Six months later it was to 12c flat,
and I felt vindicated.

Of course I know it needs humidity control.  Some clients just won't listen.

Regards, Clyde