stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:45:58 -0400

Hi Kevin, I don't think we have ever met, so I tend to have a hard time
remembering who has been at this profession for 400 years and who might be
as new as me. Am I right to think you have been around for a goodly while???
Other comments below:

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <ramsey@extremezone.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

>     OK, Ron. I'll try this again.
>
>  1).   I habitually do two pass tunings, ( usually because the piano is
off
> more than 3 or 4 cents from concert pitch.) But! I don't always find it
> necessary to do so, nor do I charge extra for two passes on pianos on
which
> the customer is really interested in maintaining.

When a piano is only a tad flat - maybe 10 cents - I will do this also.

> 2). Yes, I use an ETD for almost all pitch raises, but I will do some
> aurally, kind of as a test, just to keep my ears sharp. When the fancy
> strikes me.
>
> 3).On the other hand, I will not hesitate to charge extra for serious
> neglect. Otherwise I am encouraging the future neglect of the instrument,
> and doing extra work without compensation. After all, why should I charge
> the same on an instrument which hasn't been tuned in ten years, as one I
see
> regularly.

This is what I do not understand. Charge extra when extra work is needed,
not for serious neglect. You say that you don't "punish", but it sounds like
you do here. It appears you are at least in part basing a charge on how it
may affect/encourage future maintenance of the piano. It seems best to me to
divorce oneself from all that and just simply charge X amount for however
many pitch raise passes you think the piano is going to need. Assess the
needs and charge accordingly. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I
think it is good to make this distinction.

>     I just tuned a used (hardly) Yamaha M1A which the customer had
purchased
> twenty years ago. They thought that they would like to learn to play, but
> when they found out that it wasn't as easy as it looked, they just let it
> go. They may have had it tuned once in all that time. They called me for
an
> appraisal, and I inspected the piano and gave them a good one. While I was
> there, the lady of the house said that they really should get it tuned
> before they tried to sell it. I sold them the pitch raise tuning right
there
> by telling them that I could do it right now, and waive the appraisal fee,
> and save them an extra trip. The piano was 61 cents flat at A440, going to
> about a half step flat at octave seven. I charged them about $95, was done
> in about two hours, and everybody's happy. BTW, I had to pitch raise
octaves
> 5 & 6 twice, otherwise, everything dropped right in real nice.

Now this is where my original question came from. What I am trying to do
here is understand how slow I may be. I assume here that you have been at
this profession for a goodly number of years. I read so many posts from
techs that I am doing something wrong if I spent more than 20 minutes on a
pitch raise. Some claim to do 6 to 8 minute pitch raises. OK, 61 cents is a
large one pass pitch raise (I realize in this particular case you did two
more octaves), so lets give this pitch raise 15 to 20 minutes. Throw in
another 5 or 10 for the extra two octaves. We are still below a half hour.
Now the tuning claims - never more than an hour - 40 minutes - 30 minutes.
So how about 45 minutes for tuning? Then we have 45 + 25 = 70 minutes. One
hour and ten minutes. What you did usually takes me right about 2 hours, and
I would not have done any voicing.

I'm not trying to pick on you Kevin - I don't know that you have ever
claimed to be one of these 20 minute tuners - but is anyone willing to give
an opinion - Are these claims of 8 minute pitch raises and 30 minute tunings
just testosterone running wild? Or are many/most tuners that quick after 10
years in the field? (Again, I am trying to flush out the truth, not pick on
anyone!)