FW: grooved capo on Baldwin L

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 14:59:17 -0500

Hi John and Jeannie,
                              My choice would be to drop six strings at a
time, polish the capo shoe shine style with plumbers emery tape.  Now to
the acujust duplex section. Keep the strings high, (no bearing)  pull
almost to tension,  then use a small stright edge to make the strings level
with the others by tapping them down.   I have a small piece of brass bar
with a hole drilled in it to fit nicely over the pins.  But I have done the
job with a very blunt screwdriver.  If you go a little too far, (too much
bearing) Use a string hook and use the pin as a fulcrum, you can flex the
wire and remove up to 4-.005" of bearing.

Having about .010"  at the bottom of the treble going to .015" at the top
will usually give the best results. If you feel you are at the peak of a
humid cycle increase the bearing numbers by about .004"  This give a good
safety margin for when the board dries down.

I have enclosed a draft of a soon to be published article for you that may
help.

Roger