Quality of Pianos

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 22:44:15 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> RB:
> > I think we should be doing both..... and I think that is basically what
> you are  saying here.  And I think that applies to pianists as well. Perhaps
> it is
> true  that many technicians place to much weight on the technical side of
> things... but then perhaps in the same breath one should point out that
> pianist know
> way to little about these same things ??

DF:

> Of course we should be doing both. But I don't see that happening very much.
>
> So when the piano player calls me and asks about the Petrof, and tells me
> how it is the only piano they've played that they really like the sound of,
> but the other dealers and even a couple of technicians have told them
> Petrof's aren't any good and they should really buy some other piano that
> they can't stand the sound of--"but, don't worry, we'll get it all tuned up
> and voiced for you after its delivered"--and then tells me how much the
> Petrof costs, my response is, "Buy it. And then engage the services of a
> good piano technician to finish all the things the factory didn't bother
> with." A good detail technician can do quite a lot for $1,000 to $1,500 and
> the customer will end up with quite a nice sounding--and playing--piano and
> will still have saved a few dollars.

RB: Hmmm.. I think I try and tell folks that if you buy a Petrof, do it because
you like the sound, but be prepared to deal with some maintainance issues that
perhaps some other pianos lack. I think thats being honest, and whatever the
realities of customer / techs / sales constellations ( and I think you drew up a
pretty good picture of some of that ) I gotta try and give an  honest to what
seems like an honest question. Most questions I get from people are people I
dont know. While I know that often enough they really want some reassurance that
an instrument they were impressed with is "ok" and not neccessarilly a dead
honest appraisal of the ups and downs of any particular instrument.... I just
cant bring myself to say anything but what I feel is a truthfull answer. But
above and beyond that... I too say "if you like it buy it.. and pay a tech to
keep proper care of it"

> I predict that as long as Petrof continues to offer a relatively warm and
> dynamic sound they are going to go right on selling ever-increasing numbers
> of pianos regardless of what you and others have to say about their
> technical qualities, or their lack thereof. Eventually, of course, they will
> change their manufacturing process and/or their selection of hammers will
> change--only to improve them, you understand--and they will start sounding
> just like all the rest of the pianos out there. Then they also will get
> bogged down in the features wars and become just another cookie-cutter
> piano. And only then will people start to consider the various technical
> lapses you and others have been fussing about.

I would say you are correct in that prediction. In fact, and because of that
sound they have, if I had to choose over a host of pianos of comparable cost I
would have Petrof up pretty high on the list. Lots of the problems they have are
issues a field tech can make a lot of headway with. And if you look pretty
closely in picking one out to begin with you can avoid some other problems as
well.

As far as thinking like a tech is concerned...well I am a tech. I suppose
pianists need that perspective in the end just as much as we need theirs. Its a
shame we dont communicate better sometimes. Its interesting to look back in time
and realize that at some point we were more the same breed... I do think I take
your point tho... music and its making is a personal experience, and really
doesnt have much to do with intrument quality.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.