stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Eugenia Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:34:24 -0400

Hi Ron,

In a previous post, I think in a response to Paul, I very quickly defined
how I measure the overall pitch of the piano. I said:

<2. Measure the piano overall (I measure all the As since A0 is the default
first note). This gives you a general idea of where the piano's current
pitch is but keep in mind that as you are tuning upward, those original
measurements will probably change.>

This approach may not be definitive enough for you, but it works for me. It
allows me to know if the bass is close or far, if the tenor is close or far,
if the treble is close or far, and the same for all the notes in between. It
allows me to know the overall, general pitch of the piano. It gives me
enough information so that I will know whether or not a regular tuning will
suffice or if I need to plan to do a pitch raise. Works for me. :-)

I also suggested to Paul to <3. Begin at A0, but remember to re-measure at
least every octave and re-calculate the overpull.>
This re-measuring and re-setting the ETD (no matter which one is being used)
is one of the key elements in getting the pitch adjustment close enough that
it will be ready to be fine tuned. After all, that is exactly the same
process that we use when we tune aurally, isn't it?

Does that splain it better?

Gina