Long answer using the SATIII

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 01:33:51 -0900 (PDT)

Hi Jim:

I am personally not in favor of the very careful pitch raises
which many on this list talk about. There is no way of knowing
just how much the piano may drift. This has a lot to do with the
plate, back assembly and soundboard stability.

First of all, I never use the word pitch when talking to the customer.
That sounds too much like a sales pitch. I simple say: "For reasons
of missing a tuning or two or due to newness of the piano, the
tension level has dropped. For best results it would be good to
restore the tension level before attempting a fine stable tuning.
This additional work costs $XX. If you are not prepared for the
extra expense, I can tune the piano at the level where it is, it
just will not be able to be played with the radio or TV at their
level." 99% of the customers will say: "I would like it done right."

"Quick and dirty" is the expression which describes this procedure.
For raising 100 cents or more, two Q&D passes are necessary. Each
one should take no more that 15 to 20 minutes. See me do it in 10
minutes on my video "Aural and Visual Tuning Techniques." This is
not meant as a commercial, but you are welcome to buy it if you
just gotta see it to believe it. You will also see what I mean by
quick and dirty (Q&D). This two pass raise before fine tuning
minimizes string breakage and stabilizes the plate and board better.
The first pass is brought up just to pitch. Using jerk method
rather than smooth pull of the tuning lever will result in fewer
broken strings (well proven over many years). Often I come back a
year later to find the piano right on pitch. By Q&D I mean if you
happen to leave one note slightly sharp,leave the next slightly flat.
It is the average tension restoration which we are after here. On
the second pass, take some measurements as to how far the first
raise has dropped. I usually take only two or three measurements.
Here again, I only want to get into the ballpark as the result. I
prefer to spend my efforts at precision and stability on the final
tuning. The SAT III has two general levels of overshoot, 25% and 34%.
I like to raise pitch using a felt strip throughout the piano. It
is faster for me. Tuning unisons as you go is more stable and has
less overall drop, but I am not interested in that until the fine
tuning. The first raise is done to a program either calculated or
of a similar piano. The second raise is done with a single
measurement or two in the middle of the piano. This will more
clearly define the amount of drop for this particular piano. I may
use the 25% amount of overshoot in the Bass and then even reduce
that another 10% in the offset. for the treble, I use the 34% over-
shoot, and may increase the calculated offset another 10% in
octaves 5 and 6, but not 7. The result of this will usually land
the piano within 1 or 2 cents average of the intended final pitch.

For both passes of the pitch raises, I start tuning at the lowest
plain string and go upward chromatically. Then I tune upward again
clearing the unisons (well not exactly clearing them remember Q&D?).
I finish the Bass with a 25% overshoot, but mostly tune to fit the
resultant raising of the Tenor section aurally, it's much faster.
On the second Bass pitch raise, I may use the program more
depending on the use of the piano (concert or not)

On the fine tuning. I may have to slightly lower the tenor section
for about 5 or 6 notes. In octave 5 or 6 I may have to raise again
slightly, but the piano is already stable, just the tuning
was not stabilized before during the raises. Now is the time to
tune unisons and pound the keys many times. This is the best you
can do for stability. I don't mean over pound. As one plays
firmly, the higher partials are more easily heard and the unison
will be more stable as a result. Play the keys once a second and make
judgments at the impact of the tone while doing unisons. If you
pound too hard, this will be noticed on your SAT or other ETD.Only
experience will teach one how hard to pound to avoid knocking out
the carefully tuned middle string. If you do knock it out,you
probably did not tune it solidly enough in the first place. In the
final tuning, I like to use the felt strip only from A4 down to
the break and then come back up tuning the unisons and watching the
SAT to make sure all three strings are still very close on the
display. (the fact of a 3 string unison being flatter than either
of the  single strings does not apply as much in this area of the
piano). Next I like to tune the entire remaining treble, doing the
unisons as I go. I tune the two side strings with the SAT III and
then tune the final middle string aurally. In the top octave I may
choose to tune all three strings with the SAT. All along the way
up, I am constantly checking all the notes below which have a partial
at the note I am tuning. This way, I can see the balance of the
octaves, double octaves, octave 5ths, double oct 5ths and the
triple octaves on the display and also I can hear the results. I
like tuning this way, it is fun. and I always play a little
afterwards to hear the clarity. When I had less confidence I used
to play all unisons afterward to insure there were no misteaks.
That's still not a bad idea, but I usually don't take the time
nowadays, having a pretty good idea how stable things are anyway.

Jim, I have additional advanced information on using the SAT III
which I will send you if you would like it. It is stuff I talked
about in Reno this past summer. Fun stuff.

Jim Coleman, Sr.