Muting Techniques was Re: stability of pitch raises

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:40:58 -0500

Kevin
I missed the sender of the following:
  I'm not trying to pick on you Kevin - I don't know that you have ever
  claimed to be one of these 20 minute tuners - but is anyone willing to =
give
  an opinion - Are these claims of 8 minute pitch raises and 30 minute =
tunings
  just testosterone running wild? Or are many/most tuners that quick =
after 10
  years in the field? (Again, I am trying to flush out the truth, not =
pick on
  anyone!)"
  =20
      No, I'm not one of those lightning fast pitch raisers. I like to =
get the pitch as close as possible the first time. Therefore, I don't as =
a rule just start yanking things up as quickly as possible, and I do set =
the strings while I pitch raise, so that, once again, I know it's going =
to stay pretty much there.   =20
  ramsey@extremezone.com

  I'm one of those 8 minute pitch raisers and 30 minute tuners, skills =
developed to service retailers. Yes there are tricks to the speed, and =
it lies in efficiency especially in the way you handle mutes during =
tuning. I've watched many tuners to learn how they mute as they tune and =
many have far too many hand motions just moving mutes. Some have taught =
me very clever methods and I've adapted these methods to my own =
technique to give me minimal mute movement. Included is some fine tuning =
of the tuning hammer tip, bench location, posture, and hammer technique. =
The results have been an increase in efficiency, thus a reduction in =
time.

  Paul Chick=20