Kincade "grand" <was Betsy Ross>

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:50:00 -0500

With all this talk about how awful Betsy Ross pianos are I'm
surprised that no one has yet mentioned my #1 hated PSO/POS
piano.  I am of course referring to those spinets and
consoles that were produced by the Kincade Furniture company
marketed under the name "Grand".  With plywood sound boards,
(literally), particle board cabinets, keys that look like
they were cut out with a pocket knife, cheep bushing cloth
inserted into oversized holes, and a stringing scale that
changes sizes perhaps three times in the entire piano, the
Kincade "grand" spinet has every PSO I have ever encountered
beat by a mile!  My favorite feature are the tuning pins.
Each one had it's own angle, often various degrees downward
toward the action!  These "pianas" were sold through
furniture stores, not music stores.  They were intended as
cheep impulse purchase items for people decorating their
home and thought that a piano might enhance the look of
things.  They were functional, (sometimes), but that's about
it.  I've heard early 1980's vintage casio toy compact
keyboards that sounded better!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV