hammer juice

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:30:15 -0700

At 05:35 PM 9/4/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, I didn't know that.  Does that mean that if I use 190 proof grain
>alcohol when I apply shellac, say, to soundboards prior to varnishing, that
>it will be less likely to raise grain (no pun intended)?  Is there any down
>side to using it for that?
>
>David Love

None that I've found, though I haven't used it to refinish whole pianos,
or anything. Why not try it on some scrap wood and see how it does?

It's a little more expensive than the denatured, but for
the small amounts I use, that doesn't matter. It's also good, cut with
water, for voicing (a few drops on the strike point, "steam in a bottle")
and center pin easing. I keep the little dropper bottle of alcohol
and water next to the eye dropper bottle of voicing shellac. Since it's
only an ounce or two of each, they fit in a kit easily enough.

Glad that Ed Foote knew those things about the denatured. I just followed
what seemed like common sense, but it seems I guessed right.

Susan