Junking 1st Piano Problem

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:08:00 EDT

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I have yet to junk my first piano (although I have told many clients to junk
> theirs!). This is quickly becoming a traumatic experience for me. Will the
> piano goddess forgive/understand me if I disassemble this old beauty with a
> sledge hammer? I would at least hang the plate on my shop wall! Would anyone
> (with a clear conscience) recommend that I keep and rebuild this piano (that
> is, am I doing the right thing?)?

Terry

While I appreciate your dilemma, and I would be the first to tell you to junk
the thing, (more on that later), but you have to do what you think is best.
What does your gut instinct tell you? Take the emotional out of the picture,
and treat yourself like a customer. Ask yourself, if this was a customer's
piano, what would you recommend.

As I have stated many times on the list, for the most part, uprights that are
approaching, or are beyond 75 years, are nothing more than a piece of
furniture on which to put pictures, weights a ton, and takes up 15 square
feet of floor space. If you have spare time to waste, and have the extra
money to throw away, then maybe you can rebuild the thing.

Bottom line, take your own advice.

Willem