Hello from up North-OT

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:12:47 EDT

fish@communique.net (Warren Fisher) writes:

> We've been in Nova Scotia for two weeks.  The weather has been very nice
>
> (60's).  We've been following what they call the Evangeline trail which
> is the original home of the Acadian French(Cajuns to us) people.  This
> spring, we went to the historical exhibits around Lafayette which gave
> us a lot of
> insight into what we are seeing up here.

Thanks for this post even though it is off topic.  It is of particular
interest to me since I have long been interested in the Cajun culture.  I
learned to speak French in college and lived for a year in France, then
became interested in Cajun French and learned to speak that dialect.  I have
my own band here called the Cajun Strangers.  We play dances and holiday
events.

I'll be going to Port Arthur, Texas (which is part of Cajun country, even
though it is across the border in Texas) next Wednesday to meet with some
native Cajun musicians.  From there, I'll be going to Lafayette, Louisiana
for the weekend for the annual Festivals Acadiens (a Cajun Music festival).
It will be my 7th year in a row. Aside from the main stage, there are several
other venues and many opportunities for people who play Cajun music to
practice the art.

I have an authentic Cajun accordion which I had tuned to my own
specifications.  It opens the eyes and drops the jaws of all who see and here
it.  It is made by Accu-Tuner owner, Larry Miller, an accordion maker in
Iota, Louisiana.

It was thought by this date that the Cajun French language would be
completely extinct but thanks to the power and the influence of the
traditional music, there are many young people who now have learned to speak
it, so the tradition continues and grows stronger each year.

I find the history, the language, the food, the music and the people
captivating.  I often wish that I lived down there, especially during these
Wisconsin winters.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin