ETD unisons

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 22:00:47 -0400

> Back to how all this affects the orgional thrust of this discussion,,, the
> Verituner... it would seem to me that if one could claim with complete
> validity that the use of the Sat with no help from experience ears to set
> tuning on a piano is indecernable from an ear tuning of highest quality,,,

Boy, unless I am missing something BIG, no one has, or no one in their right
mind would, make that claim. Such thinking is totally incorrect. (Hey, am I
sticking my neck out, or what? :-) It would theoretically be possible IF the
piano were scaled with inharmonicity of the targeted partials running right
along the same smooth curve that the SAT might calculate - but that will not
happen in practice - or at least don't hold your breath.

> then any improvement on the Sat at all would be moot to begin with.

It would be, if the above claim were reasonable. But it is not.

> How then
> is is possible that so many (so far without expection of those who have
spoken
> here) can report such an improvement ?

Regarding the Verituner, it samples each and every note tuned, and measures
numerous partials on each note. The Verituner then makes a complex series of
comprimizes among all these data to reportedly come up with a very accurate
tuning, one that reportedly rivals, or comes close to, or whatever, a very
good aural tuning. The SAT measures the inharmonicity between two partials
on each of three notes. If you choose to not modify that calculated tuning
with aural checks, that is all you get. But keep in mind there are many ways
to use the SAT. First of all, it is highly beneficial to modify calculated
tunings with the results of aural checks guiding you. You can also use it in
a manual manner where you never even calculate a tuning - you use it to
measure and match (or whatever) partials of your choice, in the same manner
as the aural-only tuner does.

I think just about anyone would agree that great tunings produced by a
technician using a SAT is the result of either of two things: 1) A lot of
luck AND a good piano; or 2) a significant amount (and maybe a lot) of aural
input.

Terry Farrell