Baldwin SD-10

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:21:17 -0500

Phil,

The Baldwin SD-10 is a good quality piano. However it bears many of
Harold Conklin's design quirks.

Capping the bridge may not prove harmful to the piano, but it would be
just a good to repair the cracks with epoxy and move on.

The soundboard was designed to leave it approximately 5/8" short of the
outer rim all along the perimeter. The rationale, if I remember
correctly, was to give the sound board room for expansion or contraction
depending on the season. There is no 'channel' per se; just a gap between
the soundboard and the outer rim.

The bridge pins are supposed to be 17 degrees off of perpendicular.
Considering that these are drilled by hand, there is plenty of room for
mistakes.

The notches are routed into the inner rim using  a 1 1/14" rounded
cutting bit with an unusually long shank. The ribs are supposed to have a
little clearance from the top of the inner rim. They are designed to
'float' to the edge of the soundboard without contact with the rim.

My memory of such things is about 14 years old, but that's about the best
I can describe it.

Regards,

Charles Faulk RPT

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!