shimming keyslips

MBrat70179@AOL.COM MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 00:48:31 EDT

Hello All,

I often run into grand pianos with keys rubbing on the keyslip.  I have tried
various methods for repairing the problem, but would like to pick the
collective minds of the fine folks on this list.

In the past I have tried shimming the keyframe with front rail punchings.  I
have also tried a screw in the keyframe.  First I check the strike point on
note #88.  If I can improve the tone by adjusting the cheek block hold downs
I will.

My problem with shimming is, if the customer wants to use the una corda
pedal, there is sometimes too much friction for the action to return
properly.  I guess the correct solution (I may be wrong), to this problem is
to slide the stack forward drill and plug holes.  Thus allowing the action to
"retreat" into the action cavity.  Now I have a birdsnest of other problems
to contend with.  Cheek blocks need adjustment, capstans may be too far back
on whippen heel, checking will be off, possible damper interferance just to
name a few.

Now you all have run into this problem.  I know.  Please don't tell me "Well
I'd just plane off the back of the keyslip" or "a little sanding on the front
of the keys will do wonders".  Those are not the types of responces I am
willing to entertain, thank you.  I also sometimes find a warped keyslip,
lets deal with that one another day.  Lets correct the straight ones first.

This will probably seem like a simple fix type problem we deal with everyday,
but I am curious about the "correct" fix.  If I left out some of the small
details, use your imagination.

Thanks in advance

Mike Bratcher