shimming keyslips

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 05:28:09 -0500

Mike,

If you're happy with the action location, by all means, don't mess with =
it.  After you've eliminated the obvious / easy fixes, then the only =
thing left is to remove the locating pins/dowels from the keyslip, plug =
these holes (and the screw holes if there are any), and redrill in the =
correct location.  So far, I've not had to do this, the obvious/easy has =
always worked for me (knock wood).

Mike

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: MBrat70179@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 11:48 PM
  Subject: shimming keyslips

  Hello All,=20

  I often run into grand pianos with keys rubbing on the keyslip.  I =
have tried=20
  various methods for repairing the problem, but would like to pick the=20
  collective minds of the fine folks on this list.=20

  In the past I have tried shimming the keyframe with front rail =
punchings.  I=20
  have also tried a screw in the keyframe.  First I check the strike =
point on=20
  note #88.  If I can improve the tone by adjusting the cheek block hold =
downs=20
  I will.  =20

  My problem with shimming is, if the customer wants to use the una =
corda=20
  pedal, there is sometimes too much friction for the action to return=20
  properly.  I guess the correct solution (I may be wrong), to this =
problem is=20
  to slide the stack forward drill and plug holes.  Thus allowing the =
action to=20
  "retreat" into the action cavity.  Now I have a birdsnest of other =
problems=20
  to contend with.  Cheek blocks need adjustment, capstans may be too =
far back=20
  on whippen heel, checking will be off, possible damper interferance =
just to=20
  name a few.=20

  Now you all have run into this problem.  I know.  Please don't tell me =
"Well=20
  I'd just plane off the back of the keyslip" or "a little sanding on =
the front=20
  of the keys will do wonders".  Those are not the types of responces I =
am=20
  willing to entertain, thank you.  I also sometimes find a warped =
keyslip,=20
  lets deal with that one another day.  Lets correct the straight ones =
first.=20

  This will probably seem like a simple fix type problem we deal with =
everyday,=20
  but I am curious about the "correct" fix.  If I left out some of the =
small=20
  details, use your imagination.=20

  Thanks in advance=20

  Mike Bratcher=20