Old parts for repair practice

Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:39:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 06, 2001 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: Old parts for repair practice

> You might want to consider just buying an older piano - grand or vertical.
> That way you will have a full spectrum of things to fix - you can renew
any
> part of it - even if it isn't broke - anything would often be an
> improvement. That way you can practice regulation and a whole host of
> procedures that are only possible if you have the parts installed in the
> piano. You might even make a few bucks afterward - especially if it work
> afterwards! Just a thought.
>
> Terry Farrell

Wait a minute--didn't somebody back there just offer a Bush & Lane upright
free to a good home? Yes, actually, I think they did. And, didn't that
somebody also live in Indiana? Why, yes, as a matter of fact, they did:

Gordon Holley <gholley@hi-techhousing.com> of Goshen, Indiana, I'd like you
to meet James Turner <JTTUNER@webtv.net> of Somewhere, Indiana. Jim, meet
Gordy. You two need to get together sometime.

At least I'd think it was worth the trip down to Somewhere with a U-Haul or
whatever to pick up a B&L upright to practice on. When I was
finished--assuming I'd done a decent job--I'd have one of the best uprights
ever built (with the exception of my own, of course). Even if the top has
been kind of cut down and turned into a mirror. I could use that to comb
what's left of my hair.

Regards,

Del