Tuneoff challenge

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:46:52 -0900 (PDT)

Hey Ric:

Would you be up to a Tuneoff in Chicago this summer with me? I
will be willing to wear earplugs and earmuffs and tune with the
SAT III While you tune strictly aurally. If you beat me by as much
as 10% of the vote of the audience, I will pay your PTG dues for
one year. If I beat you, you owe me nothing. We'll still be
friends no matter what.

Based on what we learned from previous tuneoffs, we should limit
ourselves to 1 or 1.5 hrs each. The pianos should be the same model,
approx equal in voicing. This should be a double blind test in
which in the first heat, You tune piano No. 1 and I tune piano no..2.
In the second heat, I tune piano no. 1 and you tune piano no.2.
This will eliminate any advantage of one piano having a better
tone than the other. The pianos chosen should be 6' or better in size.
They should be detuned according to the PTG Tuning Exam procedure
before each heat in order that an advantage of the previous tuning
can not be utilized. The identity as to who tuned which piano should
be kept a secret from the audience to avoid any favoritism of
either the method of tuning or the personality of the Tuner.

For the audience's benefit, we could have someone play about four
identical selections on each piano twice, alternating as to which
piano is played first. Better yet, we could have Diskclavier or
PianoDisc recordings do the playing to make the playing more
identical. Perhaps Yamaha, Kawai or Mason & Hamlin would be willing
to sponsor such an event.

My prediction as in the first Tuneoff is that there will not be a
dime's worth of difference (10% differential in the voting of the
audience). I respect you as a good aural tuner from your
experience in the San Francisco bay area, now in the Dakotas, and
from our encounters in my home.

We could add another twist to this by having the tuning scored by
the PTG Tuning Examiners.

Since you have done a lot of original study of the Historical
Tunings recently, perhaps the following year we could do another
Tuneoff
where you pick your favorite Historical temperament, Bill Bremmer does
his EBVT and I do the Coleman XI. I would not want this to become
an ego trip, but an educational experience. Competitive, YES, but
for bragging rights, NO. I commend Bill and Virgil for their last
encounter, To this date I have not heard who WON, but I HAVE heard
that it was very educational.

Of course, if there is enough interest shown in another Tuneoff,
we should let the Institute Committee make their comments on it if
this is to happen at all. They are the ones who would make any
final decisions as to this happening at a Convention.

What do you the other readers say?

Jim Coleman, Sr.