New Job for Wim

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:10:06 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/01 12:20:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
rbrekne@broadpark.no writes:

> Something on another thread, and it reminded me Wim is off to start
> a new job working at a University after many years owning and
> opereating a store. And I got to thinking it would be nice to know
> how everything is going, an interesting transition to be sure. I
> hope and trust all goes well ?
>
> Richard Brekne

For now everything is going great. I love the job, and so far, (knock on
wood), no complaints. As I mentioned earlier, perhaps it's the honeymoon
stage. But the pianos in the department have not had the best of care for the
past 25 years. The previous tech was an excellent tuner, but his technical
skills were "good" at best. Certainly not up to university standards. The
reason they had to keep him is because of the policies of working at a
university. He wasn't doing "bad" work, and he wasn't breaking any laws. So
they couldn't fire him. They had to wait until he retired.

As I said back in July, this is a fantastic career move for me. Perhaps not
everyone was in a the position I was in. I had a BIG debt load left over from
the store, that would have taken me 3 - 4 years to pay off. This move allows
me to pay off that debt, and work in a job with a steady paycheck, health
insurance. And between Jan and I, we will have a chance to make almost as
much tuning on the outside as I can make at the university.

I am not sure if working for a university is for everyone. As some other
current and past university techs have mentioned, there are going to be some
problems down the road. I am not worried about my technical skills, and I
think I can handle personality problems. I have to wait until those problem
arise to make a judgment. I have a very supportive department chairman, and
the piano faculty is very happy to have me here.

I will let everyone know if and when the bubble busts.

Wim