Hurricane Andrew piano?

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 08:17:46 -0400

Good morning.

I have heard of this type of instrument being sold to the general public,
and I think I just came across my first one, and it's in a restaurant where
a player who I respect is playing on 4 nights a week( i feel real bad for
him). Here are the facts, and this is in NO WAY a knock on the
manufacturer..it's more me venting which appears to be deception to the
general public:

-Yamaha 86 note piano with a 85 note keyboard.
-A key frame that will not seat to the keybed(I wonder why).
-It's a 2-pedal arrangement on the pedal lyre, and there's alot of slop with
the damper pedal, and the una corda doesn't move the keyframe(I wonder why).
-It's been re-strung and the case was re-finished..but I can not find a
model or a serial# anywhere on this instrument. It has the markings of
Yamaha, but no indication of what vintage it is.
-It plays like a bag of marshmellows..how do I know? I recently was called
to do some work on it and I played 4 hrs. on it last night subbing for the
regular guy..now, my chops are rusty i admit, but I know gosh darn well what
the guts look like, and it's not pretty.

There's a few of you from the East Coast who monitor and contribute to this
forum. Have any of you come across such an animal?
Have you heard of the "Hurricane Andrew" vintage instruments?
Is there any recourse for the restaurant(they don't have any idea what a
mess this thing is)?

my hands hurt,
roo(k)