Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer

Sat, 8 Sep 2001 09:57:43 -0400

Hi Terry -

Sorry for the lack of specifics....

My Accuspray gun is designed to require 80-90 PSI delivered to the gun
from the compressor.  Then, at the mini-regulator at the gun handle, I
step it down to about 6 PSI, as I indicated.  By thinning a finish 5% or
less, and using the nozzle/tip/air cap arrangement I listed before, I get
extremely good atomization.   Clearly, your gun is set up completely
differently.  My Accuspray is a bit of an air hog, as an older generation
HVLP conversion gun,but I have a big enough compressor to handle it quite
easily.  I think your gun is a newer generation HVLP that requires a lot
less air to spray well.  I have heard nothing but good things about the
ECO/S gun, from quite a few refinishers.

You are right that tearing down the Accuspray gun is a bit of a chore,
but I only do it at the end of each refinish job, and it only takes me
about 5 minutes to tear it down, and let the parts soak in lacquer
thinner, then about 5 minutes to put it back together.  Practice makes
perfect, eh?  During a job, like you, I just run water thru it after each
spraying session.

Yes, I thin the PSL about 5% water, maybe less.  I have also used their
Oxford Hybrid Varnish, which is a very attractive acrylic/tung oil
hybrid.  It sprays a little differently, but gives the wood a warmer look
than any other water based product I've used, I suppose because of the
oil.  Not appropriate when wanting to rub to a sheen higher than satin.
I use it on uprights mostly, although lately, in my never ending
insistence on trying new finishes, I have been using Aquacote products
with very good success.  They are located close to me in Ohio, which is a
plus.  I have been hearing some pretty amazing reports about a new water
based finish from Dave Fuhr, I think it is, that is supposed to rival
Nitrocellulose in its ability to level out.  I think Jeff J is or will be
carrying it.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com