Tuneoff

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 08 Sep 2001 10:33:03 -0900 (PDT)

Hi to Ric Moody:

Thanks for accepting the challenge. As I mentioned in the proposal, I
would wear earplugs and  ear muffs, so , yes, it really would be machine
against the ear which was my main point in the first place. If you have
any suggestions as to what would define the experiment any further,
please feel free to add any other qualifications. The procedures which I
mentioned in the original post were a result of having done this before
and are an attempt to make the deal as objective as possible.

I don't agree with Richard Breckne about having Professors do the
judging.
We have piano technicians who play every bit as well as many professors
of piano. I believe piano technicians are more able to know what an intune
piano should sound like, and I am equally sure that many piano teachers
do not (since often they do not have their own pianos tuned as often as
they should). When I worked at the University, the piano professors
wanted their pianos tuned every month in their studios, but their home
pianos were tuned only once a year (maybe it's just the money).

The weeks of voicing recommended by R. Breckne should not be necessary
since, if we trade pianos on the second heat, any differences in tone
quality would be negated. I do like his idea of doing this in Bergen,
however, because I have never been able to enjoy the scenery there except
through the National Geographic Magazine. Hey Ric, all we need now are
sponsors to get us over there and back. I could use the vacation, I had
to do 3 separate Church concert tunings yesterday from my wheelchair (in
one of them I had to crawl up ten steps to get to the piano. It was
worth it though, because it was an SD10 rebuilt by Rick Baldassin and
Michael Spreeman - ask for details if interested).

I guess the next step is to see if the new Institute Committee would be
interested in having this on the docket for Chicago next Summer.

The first time in Chicago, Virgil and I had the choice of two fairly well
matched pianos (except one had a high polish finish and the other didn't).
In the first heat, it didn't make any difference because we had tuned the
pianos before the audience arrived just before noon. They didn't know who
had tuned which piano. During the second heat, we each tuned the opposite
piano before the audience for educational purposes. This time in the
judging, the audience knew who had tuned which piano because of the
different appearance of the two pianos. We can rule out this possibility
of favoritism this time if the pianos are visually equivalent.

Another thing we learned from the first Tuneoff was that the position of
the pianos on stage made a difference as to which one sounded better, so
we exchanged the piano positions halfway through the listening time to
help balance out any advantage of position on stage.

I know Richard B.was giving us some "tongue-in-cheek" treatment when he
suggested that detuning would take so much time. In the PTG Exam rooms
we take about 10 minutes for this, not an exact science, but effective.

We probably should have some acceptable alternates ready to carry on for
us if either of us should become ill. This only seems reasonable when you
consider all of the logistics involved in providing the pianos, setting
the schedule, moving the pianos before and during the contest, etc. I
have one or two people who may willing to wear the earplugs if it became
necessary, and I'm sure you could find many "dyed-in-the-wool" aural
tuners who would jump at the chance to "defend the faith" if you should
become incapacitated. (Tom Servinsly has already volunteered, and if he
is related to the Tony Servinsky I knew, he's got to be exceptionally
good).

Where would professional sports be today if they only played between
their first and second teams and only at home. Competition has driven the
sports to greater heights of achievement. Could this happen in piano
tuning? Could such an event stir up national interest and national media
coverage? Would piano owners become more critical in their selection of
pianos and piano tuners? Could we achieve such an interest in fine piano
sounds that it would once again be fun to make music rather than play
nintendo (I took seriously the remarks of Brian Chung at our opening
assembly at Reno this summer). I think playing the piano IS fun, I think
that tuning a piano IS fun. I also think it is fun to tune aurally as
well as with ETDs (did you ever catch my class on "Strictly Aural
Tuning?).

Well, here I've gone to dreaming again.

What are your thoughts?

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS It was good to see you and Ric B in Reno.