Tuneoff challenge

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 20:16:55 +0200

Robert Scott wrote:

> Let me suggest that a more realistic Tuneoff Challenge would allow the
> machine user (Jim) to tune unisons by ear, since that is how the machines
> are most commonly used.

Yes... well that kind of wrecks the whole point tho... I mean if the machine
is that good then it is... if it isnt then it isnt. Either this is to be a
machine tuning full out, or its only a machine assisted ear tuning.  Besides,
Jim included machine tuned unisons as part of his origional posting on this.
Also, if we included all the different major machines on the market...we
might just find out something new about machines and unisons..... who knows ?

Your remainding suggestions below seem fair enough tho.

>  Instead of wearing ear muffs to rule out Jim's
> aural tuning ability, how about making a rule that Jim must not play two
> notes at once, or use the sustain pedal.  Being deprived of hearing
> interval beats he could not cheat and use his aural skills.  Someone
> could sit in the room and monitor Jim for compliance with this rule.
> Given Jim's reputation, there should be no difficulty getting a
> volunteer to watch, just to get an opportunity to witness a master
> in action.
>
> -Robert Scott
>   Detroit/Windsor Chapter

I still think tho if we are really going to get at the real interesting
revelations such an experience can provide...we need to make it all the
machines plus an ear tuner against each other.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.