Bridge pin spacing (was Baldwin SD-10)

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 11:41:17 +1000

>. . I have
>  >yet come to a conclusion as the "why's" vs. the "how effectives" are each
>>design.
>  >Tom Servinsky,RPT

(thanks for the note in another post about Del's bridge notcher Tom)

Ron N wrote;

>There really isn't a simple answer either. Stiffer and heavier are
>determined by width and height, like with any beam. The impedance of the
>soundboard assembly at any point in the scale is determined by the mass and
>stiffness of the assembly, as seen by the strings at that point.

Indeed. A wider lower bridge will have higher mass with less
stiffness, and vice versa.

>Scale tensions, soundboard panel thickness and grain direction, rib dimensions
>and placement, rim stiffness and proximity to the bridge will all have some
>effect. Like everything else in a piano, everything affects everything else
>in some way. Too flexible an assembly, and you get one big killer octave.
>Too stiff and heavy an assembly, and you get a very quiet piano that
>sustains for days. Something in the middle, and a considerable range of
>something at that, is what you want. I've found that I can get enough
>control of the process to produce the kind of sound I'm looking for with
>panel and rib design without having to worry too much about bridge cross
>sections. A couple of years ago, I replaced a 40mm wide bridge with a 30mm
>wide bridge with a new soundboard and rib scale, and was very pleased with
>the result. Since I haven't replaced a bridge with one of different
>dimensions on the original soundboard, I can't say exactly what would happen.
>
>Ron N

Around 1990 we re-bridged a circ. 1925 US made D with an original 8
mm crowned sound board. This piano must have been set
out-of-specification originally since it had almost zero down bearing
with considerable sound board crown. Since the board looked to be in
good overall condition, we built new bridges (with a fully revised
logarithmic-style scale) of original width but 40 mm high (standard
Steinway D is nominally around 32-34 mm). No other design changes
were made (speaking length and bass scale revision excepted). The
result did not sound like a Steinway. It had much longer sustain with
less initial sound pressure level (but nonetheless was a very
satisfactory instrument). One local commentator (a tuner of note)
said that we got rid of the Steinway tone to create something much
more European in character. This piano was our first re-bridged D
with a revised scale. The tuning stability adjacent to the plate
struts was very much improved, since we altered the speaking lengths
exactly to that calculated to achieve an even graduation of the
percentage of breaking strain.

The option of building sound board assembly stiffness with rib
height, as opposed to bridge height is interesting. I suspect that
bridge rigidity remains an important consideration even when stiffer
sound board ribs are used to raise the impedance of a board. If tall
relatively stiff ribs are used with a low height 'floppy' bridge,
there is I suspect a tendency for inferior note to note sustaining
qualities (the sustain will tend to be shorter for those notes which
do not lay over a sound board rib - those long bridges which are
attached to the sound board only over a rib at the lower end are also
similarly suspect). I inspected at a new Korean made 'concert' piano
last year with quite standard sized ribs and a 24 mm low bridge. The
tone was, how shall I put it, most ordinary and short (most other
factors seemed to be reasonably satisfactory -  even the
workmanship). A local contemporary manufacturer also uses 24 mm high
bridges to create a 9'6" piano which sounds like an instrument from
1850 (something akin to speaking with a peg on your nose). If you
look at the grand pianos from around 1850 they all seem to have lower
bridges and ribs than contemporary pianos. Both these factors seem to
contribute to their duck-like tonal qualities. Mind you, when
listening to these instruments today with their now compression set
panels, they are sure to sound even more short toned than originally.

As Ron N says, "everything affects everything else in some way". It's
very useful to think about each individual element and its cause and
effect on tonal quality. They all come together to produce a result
of some kind. There are so many combinations of stiffness, mass and
radiating area which remain to be tested. As long as we can keep an
open mind about future directions, superior pianos must surely be
built in the future.

Ron O
--
Overs Pianos