Killer Octave

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:00:52 +1000

Sorry about the poor nomenclature of the previous post, it should have read;

. . . . . While on the topic of the killer zone, I suspect that the
'tone bell' of Steinway pianos might indeed be a 'tone dissipator'.
If you check the location of the connection bolt from 'bell' to
plate, you will notice that it connects adjacent to the so called
'killer' zone, or should we say 'killed' zone. Just last week I
crawled under a D to feel the movement at the bell connection bolt
under heavy playing (try it - you'll be amazed). The next D I rebuild
(if it ever happens again) will likely get another beam and set bolt
in place of that suspect device. I'm not suggesting that the problem
is the 'bell' alone, but I suspect it is contributing. It would be
interesting to compare the Yamaha CFs with and without the tone bell.
Gosh its good to see marketing dictating design as usual isn't it?

I think I'll go before things get out of hand.

Ron O
--
Overs Pianos
Sydney Australia