Shigeru Kawai regulation

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Sat, 08 Sep 2001 23:36:49 -0500

    The technicians in the Dallas/ Ft.Worth Texas part of the world were
treated to a technical this past week, on the refinments of the Shigeru
Kawai, their preimer piano line. The technician who follows a particular
instrument through the facory, also goes to the new owners home to service
it. I guess that is a one time deal, since all the techs are coming from
Japan. Very impressive. Any other manufactures doing that? I love it when
someone raises the bar.

    There are a couple of regulation differences that are interesting.
 #1-Drop is set slightly early, and #2- jack height to rep lever height is
 set so that there is no winking. The distance (jack height to rep lever
top) is subtle, so as not to cause a hammer line wave.
    I beleive the reasoning for the earlier than usual drop, is that there
is a smoother feel if drop and let-off are spaced slightly.
     Also, I beleive their thinking is, an earlier drop allows a safety net
 which insures a positive 'scrape' or contact by the jack, which would be
 reduced if the drop timing is later that the let-off timing. In other
words, let the jack do it's job of lifting the hammer. Keep the spring
loaded rep lever out of the picture.

 Dan