Killer Octave

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 23:07:21 +1000

>  > The problem with leaf springs is that they have hysteresis loss when
>>  compared to coil springs. This is why road trucks can be built
>>  without shock absorbers when leaf springs are employed. The
>>  hysteresis loss of leaf springs would contribute further to loss of
>>  sustain.
>
>Isn't this true only when multiple leaf springs are stacked?

Certainly multiple leaf springs will have much higher losses than a
single leaf, but the single leaf will still have losses if the end
rubs against another surface.

>I've considered
>using a single wood leaf spring--the spring doesn't care what it's made out
>of, it's still a spring--coupled to the soundboard with a dowel. The amount
>of force could be adjusted by varying the amount of bend put into the wood
>spring. The two advantages I can see to this arrangement are some
>flexibility in mounting--it's basically a wood beam and you could tailor its
>characteristics to suit-- and the inherent internal damping of the wood. One
>of the problems with the coil spring is its lack of damping.

Sure, a dowel connection will effectively eliminate the rubbing losses.

I suspect our best answer Del is to build our own pianos. That way,
we can leave the historical pieces (even the contemporary historical
pieces) intact as evidence - how not to do it.

Ron O
--
Overs Pianos
Sydney Australia