naphtha + mineral oil / silicon + naphtha

Kwkeys@AOL.COM Kwkeys@AOL.COM
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 10:34:36 EDT

Hello List,

A friend had mentioned to me that the use of silicon was being discussed on the list and asked if I had any thoughts or information that could help to clarify its use. I've included here my response since it may be of interest some some of you.

Thanks
Kent Webb

1.    In the mid 70's, Wurlitzer very thoroughly researched liquid silicon for the use of treating action centers. Their research clearly indicated that the application of silicon, both in the manufacturing of the actions and in the after-sales service, has a significant benefit on maintaining the desired
center pin torque. Also a benefit of providing a firmer center, lower torque resistance, and a more stable resistance than other treatments. This last fact is particularly beneficial when battling the effects of climate changes and the effect of action center torque. Mineral oil/naphtha was also one of the mixes tested and the silicon/naphtha mix (1:8) was found to provide consistently superior results for the criteria listed above.

The Wurltizer Corporation was a very well-funded, well-resourced organization that had engineers that fully understood scientific processes that would
ensure accurate results from such testing. Unfortunately, most of us technicians do not have access to similar resources of time, personnel, and money necessary to test our own empirical or anectdotal observations and opinions.

2.    From the mid 70's until its purchase by Baldwin in the late 80's, Wurlitzer applied a silicon emulsion mixed with water to every action flange in every piano. That means millions of parts in tens of thousands of pianos.There was not a single report that I was aware of while Manager of Technical Services for Baldwin and Wurlitzer of ANY adverse affects to the action or
the pinblock (or anything else).

3. After Baldwin bought Wurlitzer in the late 80's Baldwin started to use the Wurlitzer system in their actions after researching the process themselves to
assure success. Again, the frequency of action problems reported, both internally and externally were significantly reduced. No problems associated
with the silicon were reported during my time with Baldwin. Baldwin and Wurlitzer also used the application of silicon in the plants without any problems of "traveling silicon". No finish issues such as fish-eye or other problems that can be caused by contamination of the finish materials were evident.

4.  The use of silicon also had NO effect on the ability to repin an action center or glue in new bushing cloth. Nor does it have any effect on the later treatment of alcohol and water as a sizing solution if one chooses to do that later.

5.  Baldwin and Wurlitzer shipped many, many orders of silicon to technicians through the years and, to my knowledge, NO reports of problems associated with the silicon.

6.  As far as I know, Baldwin still uses the silicon emulsion in the manufacturing of all action centers - at least they did through my last day with them in November of 1999.

7. The silicon as used by both Baldwin and Wurlitzer is one of the safest products in the technicians arsenal of chemicals. The MSDS sheet indicates no harmful effects from swallowing, skin absorption,  inhalation, and skin
contact. Even eye contact is listed as "may cause minor irritation and swelling of the conjunctivae". It will not aggravate existing medical conditions. The flash point is 390 degrees F so it is safe in the trunk of a
car. The vapor density is listed as HEAVIER THAN AIR. (brings into question the "traveling uphill" suspicians).