naphtha + mineral oil / silicon + naphtha

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 22:17:12 EDT

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM writes:

<< <
  7. The silicon as used by both Baldwin and Wurlitzer is one of the safest
 products in the technicians arsenal of chemicals. The MSDS sheet indicates
no
 harmful effects from swallowing, skin absorption,  inhalation, and skin
  contact. Even eye contact is listed as "may cause minor irritation and
 swelling of the conjunctivae". It will not aggravate existing medical
 conditions. The flash point is 390 degrees F so it is safe in the trunk of a
  car. The vapor density is listed as HEAVIER THAN AIR. (brings into question
 the "traveling uphill" suspicians).
  ------------------------------ >>
 List,
 Now, as for the Silicon.  You are confusing the element Silicon with
 silicone or silicone rubber. I think this topic has been breached before.

 Webster's says:

 silicon: a tetravalent nonmetallic element that occurs combined as the most
 abundant element next to oxygen in the earth's crust and is used especially
 in alloys.

 silicone:  any of various polymeric organic silicon compounds obtained as
 oils, greases, or plastics and used esp. for water-resistant and heat
 resistant lubricants, varnishes, binders, and electric insulators

 silicone rubber:  rubber made from silicone elastomers and noted for its
 retention of flexibility, resilience, and tensile strength over a wide
 termperature range.

 What we are talking about is silicone.  Heavier than
 air isn't really the question.  Frequently (almost always) oils, greases,
 plastics and rubbers are not pure compounds, but mixtures. They can
 contain other components such as antioxidants, plasticizers, etc.
 which do, in fact, volatilize out of the silicone and can deposit on
 something else. Volatile compounds can come out of, say,
 a car dashboard and coalesce onto the car window,
 ( it's that new car smell) or out of a CD jewel case onto a CD.
 If you really think that something came out of the silicone and
 deposited on something else, IT COULD HAVE.  The problem is
 that you don't really know what is in the silicone (and by the way, Baldwin
 probably doesn't either).  If you have been sensitized to something, you can
 react to it and they wouldn't necessarily have to put it on the MSDS.

 WD-40, according to the company and a 25 year rep. says it has never
 contained "silicone" . They did produce a product under a different name
 that did. The sales representative however did not recommend WD-40
 for use on wooden parts and I wouldn't either. FWIW

 Mark Ritchie RPT

AAAHHH, This makes sense to me!  The voice of reason?  I am not totaly sure
but it sure seems reasonable to me.  By the way, it seems odd to me that WD40
when used to lubricate metal parts only lasts a very short time i.e. a
squeeky door hinge that in a very short time becomes squeeky again, but seems
to expand and spread when used in a piano action.  The only thing I have ever
found WD40 useful for is chasing moisture out of a distributor cap.
David Koelzer
                 dfw