structural members

Sun, 9 Sep 2001 23:28:07 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 06, 2001 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: structural members

> >1) What kind of strut organization is most desirable?  Is a fan better
> >generally or worse than a post and beam?  How would I determine which is
> >more appropriate?
>
> Since the plate is doing the work of containing the string tension, my
call
> is that the bracing underneath is to stiffen the rim as is possible, and
> provide anchors for nose bolts. Mindful of this, I'd position them
accordingly.

Andy,

After my earlier response to your query I was reminded of the non-descript
grand piano I rebuilt many years ago that did have a plate horn and wedge
mechanism at the bass/tenor break. It did not, however, have any
bellybracing to back it up. In this case a couple of supporting bellybraces
butting up against the back of the bellyrail were in order. You might want
to check.

Del