Killer Octave

Sun, 9 Sep 2001 23:05:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 09, 2001 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Killer Octave

> Using the following definition of a Leaf spring... it would almost seem
that
> one could stretch the point to view the whole soundboard assembly as
something
> very similiar to a leaf spring to begin with...
>
> LEAF SPRING
>
> an element comprising a plate or bar or a plurality of superposed plates
or bars
> and which exhibits resilient characteristics when a portion is deflected
> transversely of length of  the element.

As I've pointed out in many writings and many convention and conference
classes, it very nearly is. Actually it is a bit more like a disc spring,
but the two are really quite similar.

> It would seem to me that in anchoring both ends of the spring the energy
losses
> would be minimized.

Or just one end. There are lots of advantages to this. One obvious one being
the ease with which it could be made adjustable.

> In anycase it would seem reasonable enough to give it a try. One could
actually
> install such a spring (wooden as Del suggests) pretty easily on just about
any
> instrument and measure the resulting change in sustain and loudness. Might
be
> interesting.

Yup. Might be.

Del