Tuneoff/takeoff

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:14:58 EDT

Rick writes:
<<We know that
a machine so far, is not demostrably better than a good aural tuner.

      I can't agree with this,  It has been demonstrated that a machine is
not demonstrably better than a "great" aural tuner(Virgil/Coleman comparisons
of 1999?).  I don't know if a "good" one is going to be competitive.  What we
KNOW is that the quality of the tuning done by the machine is determined by
the quality of the piano. As Al Sanderson once said, "If you have a perfect
piano, the machine will give you a perfect tuning".
     Audiences are poor judges of tuning beyond unisons.  It would be more
instructive to have a group of pianists play the same pieces on both tunings
and select the one that felt most "in tune" for them, (but don't try this
with ET and a Coleman 11, the latter wins every time!)

>If that were the case, good tuners would have switched to machines
because good tuners would never pass up an opportunity to improve.>>

  Umm, yes, That is the case,  and that is why many of us formerly aural-only
tuners wonder why more of the aural-only tuners don't avail themselves of the
new technology.

"Amazing tech,  how sweet the light
The buttons and dials so cool,
My ears were once the only right