Glenn Gloud

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:29:30 -0700

At 09:48 PM 9/9/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Gould liked to play deep into the keys (toward the fallboard).  Removing
>the fallboard kept him from bumping into it.  He also may have felt that
>he heard the piano better with the sound coming out through the action
>cavity unimpeded.
>
>David Love

Interesting thought ... I never imagined a lot of tone coming through the
action cavity, though.

Wasn't there some commentary about the fallboard being off for that
recording? The Goldberg Variations involve so much crossing and interlacing
of hands that it is the very devil to find room for what you have to do.
And why have the thing there, in the way, anyhow? Looking at a well-used
practice grand, there are always huge gouges above the keys in the
fallboard. Obviously it gets in the way for non-casual playing.

Susan