Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:49:11 -0500

Del, Terry, List

I've added water based lacquer to my finishing and along with it new
equipment. I have a 5 hp compressor feeding an Asturo Spray Gun model BBS
fitted with a 1.7mm tip. I sprayed the Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer right
form the can. I did an ebony grand but used tinted clear rather than black
lacquer. To me it has more depth. Since this was my first use of water
based, I had expect some differences and got them. The gun allows you to
control fluid, pattern And air pressure. Line pressure was controlled from
the filters. The lacquer raised the grain a little but no worse than solvent
based. Some air bubbles were evident but cured by adding about 2% retarder.
You can go up to 5% if necessary. This also improved flow out. At first my
air pressure was too low, causing a coarse application, but it flowed out
better than I thought it would. I only sanded between the first and second
coat with 3M's 216u FreCut Gold Sandpaper. One sheet did the entire 7'
grand. Then I applied successive coats, increasing the air pressure until I
got the desired atomization. This step is intuitive. I can't tell you
pressures or feed rates, just practice. I built up about 8 coats about an
hour apart, not sanding between them. There was a fine line between a full
coat and sagging. But I was pleased with the flow out of each coat. I hang
as many pieces as I can to reduce dust contamination. The piano sat for 24
hours, then cutting down and buffing began. Any sag or ruff spot was easily
leveled with the 216u backed with a wood block. After sanding, the finish
was rubbed with 4F Pumice. I never cut through-save a couple of edges-and
got 100% burn-in between all coats. I inspected the piano 8 days after
delivery and found no change in the finish.
My conclusions: It took me too long the come up with the right delivery.
        I'm ordering a finer tip.
        I'll be thinning the finish about 10% and use retarder about 2%.
        Very low odor and over spray, greatly reduced the volume of exhaust
air.
        Sands better than nitro-lacquer; seems to be a harder film.
        The gun works well; very easy to clean, especially the fluid filter.
        The gun is very versatile; I think it will meet all needs including
spot finishing
        I'll never use anything but 3M 216u sandpaper.
        Other misc. reasons.
I purchased the gun, lacquer, and sandpaper from Jeff Jewett at Homestead
Finishing, P.O. Box 360275, Cleveland Ohio 44136-0005
www.homesteadfinishing.com

Paul Chick