Tuneoff challenge

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:00:52 -0500

| Let me suggest that a more realistic Tuneoff Challenge would allow the
| machine user (Jim) to tune unisons by ear, since that is how the machines
| are most commonly used.

| -Robert Scott

Robert....
    Yes I agree (actually from what I have heard) that machines are not
used to tune unisons.  So perhaps the tune off should reflect how the
machines are actually used in practice.   Well Jim proposed the machine for
unisons and I concur.  He being on the machine side (this time (hint hint
hint))
 must have a reason.  I am sure there will be  other tuneoffs and these
could feature different issues.
    I would like to ask another question.  Why are not machines used to
tune unisons in practice, or are they?    Unisons to me are the second
hardest interval to tune, actually tune it so it ISN'T an interval : )   .
I would think machines would be of great help.  You could check each
partial with a machine where you can't by ear.  ( I suppose there are ways
but I mean practical also in the field)

    I have tested your Tunelab program against a quartz pitchsource and TL
and the quartz agreed time after time and even up to 6 months.   This I
take to mean neither varied.   So if you have a non-variable measuring
device I think one can claim accuracy.   Also it was fun to listen to one
beat in 100 seconds since both your program and the quartz source have
audio out.   I think it was one beat per 98 seconds before a difference
could be heard.

    With this accuracy I would think machines might have an edge over the
ear tuning unisons.  Yet it is often said the machine is not used to tune
unisons. I wonder why?    ---ric