Tuneoff

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:31:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: David M. Porritt <dm.porritt@verizon.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 4:15 PM
Subject: Tuneoff

The "aural only" tuners are convinced they can do MUCH better than a
machine, dave
_____________________________
David M. Porritt

NOT this aural tuner.  I posted my sentiments on that seven times.
(actually my mail software messed up. sorry)  Once was enough I had hoped.
; )

Again I don't think good aural tuners are much better than machines.  I
don't think machines are any better than good aural tuners.  Both have
their pluses and minuses.
Jim Coleman wrote----
    and I'm sure you could find many "dyed-in-the-wool" aural
tuners who would jump at the chance to "defend the faith" if you should
become incapacitated

And again I welcome any and all aural tuners who want to "defend the
faith".  I don't happen to know any tuners who say they are MUCH better
than a machine. (or are you speaking for yourself?).  Please send them
my way. Come out best in a "pre-season" tuneoff, and you get to the
Tuner's Super Bowl in Chicago.  A tie and we open it up again until
someone better comes along.  But as I said before I don't think that will
happen at the level judged as good tuning.  It should be a tie at best.
Otherwise somebody messed up.

The tuneoffs may seem a spectacle to some eyes but if done right I think
they can provide valuable educational opportunities for many others besides
a few tuners at a convention.  I think Jim Coleman's sentiments are along
these lines  when he says. "Could we achieve such an interest in fine
piano sounds that it would once again be fun to make music."
---ric