Tuneoff challenge

Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:38:15 -0500

At 08:58 09/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Subject: Re: Tuneoff challenge
>

> >     With this accuracy I would think machines might have an edge over the
> > ear tuning unisons.  Yet it is often said the machine is not used to tune
> > unisons. I wonder why?    ---ric
> >>

>I wonder the same Ric. I use my SAT to tune unisons all the time even for
>the bass with excellent results. My ear is still the final judge. A good
>friend who uses the RCT does the same with the same good results.
>Gina

My suspicion is that an ETD is usually just listening to one partial of the
note, but the ear is listening to the entire envelope.

Any disagreement between the strings' harmonic series at that one ETD
listing point would give a fuzzy unison, whereas the ear and it's
associated wetware would seek the best overall sound.

My 2¢.

Conrad Hoffsommer -
I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here.
mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu