Tuneoff challenge

Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:59:06 -0500

Don,

At 08:25 09/11/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>Or else the ear "locks" onto the loudest partial and we tune it beat free
>as much as possible. If the machine happens to be set for that partial then
>the unison will be acceptable to the ear. If not, then it will be compromised.

> >whereas the ear and it's
> >associated wetware would seek the best overall sound.

Yup.  Compromise is the operative word here.  If taming the wild harmonic
causes the fundamental [or other partial(s)] to become unacceptable, the
wetware seeks a compromise to find the least objectionable sound.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)
=== Note new area code === mandatory 1 December 2001  ===

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin and Hobbes