terrorists (off topic)

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:59:18 -0700

Folks,

This just in on another list.

For those of us with varying levels of military experience, these events
may bring up many things.  Perhaps the following will be of some help and
support:

+++++++++++++++
In case you haven't already heard, both towers of New York City's
World Trade Center have now collapsed and a serious fire rages at the
U.S. Pentagon, all due to terrorist attacks using hijacked planes.
Check your local news for more details.

As someone who has lived in a war zone for more than a year in my
past I can tell you that there are some things you should consider
when talking to anyone who may have been affected by today's events.

1. Don't joke about it, even if you think it might help cheer someone
up.

2. Don't coddle. Treat them with respect and help them in the ways
you would normally help. Offer support, but assume they will tell you
if they need help.

3. Don't speculate, and don't act like you understand or know how
they feel. If you haven't gone through an extremely traumatic event
you don't know what its like. Talk to them, but listen more than
talk.

If you're affected by this directly yourself, take our condolences
and hopes that you recover. If we can help, ask.

As noted, if we can help, ask.

Best to all.

Horace