Quality Control--the long answer

Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:46:19 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 11, 2001 2:48 PM
  Subject: Re: Quality Control--the long answer

      Well, again I ramble, so will close....=20
      Del=20
  Hi Del, A good post on what really happens.   I might add that  =
factory Jigs and Templates have a way of wearing out in use.   Nobody is =
made responsible for checking them, untill there is a problem reported =
from the field,  before you know it, a critical element is way off =
tolerence.  And possibly hundreds of nightmare pianos get out of the =
system.
And when factory jigs break or get warn they are repaired by a =
maintenance shop that knows nothing at all about the piano or how it =
should be built. This is what happened with the ribs being feathered =
backwards. The maintenance shop had repaired the jig and put the top few =
planer guides on backwards.=20

No one noticed even though it was quite visually obvious. And, with the =
boards all nice and new the acoustic problems didn't show up in the =
factory even though each instrument was played and evaluated before =
being shipped. The symptoms started showing up six months to a year =
later as sustain problems through roughly the upper third of the scale.=20

But, as Ron has pointed out, these were all voicing problems. They =
couldn't possibly be soundboard problems.

  Most of the workers have no understanding of what they are fitting =
together, they are just doing as instructed.
Yes, they are doing exactly what they've been instructed to do. And that =
may not be what they are supposed to do.=20

When I'm in a factory I pretty much discount any and all complaints =
about the workers. The company's management team hired that workforce =
and/or keeps them on the payroll. For the most part the workers will do =
precisely what management expects and requires of them and what it =
equips and trains them to do, be that good or bad. The floor performance =
of any work force is usually a good reflection of management competence.

Del