4th day of pain

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:02:15 -0700 (PDT)

Whilst we are all understandably off topic at the
present time I thought I
would try and describe what is happening on this side
of the Atlantic.

Yesterday, during the Changing of the Guard at Bucking
Palace, the American
National Anthem was played.  People stood and wept.

This morning, Parliament was recalled early to debate
the crisis.  All parties
firmly stood with Prime Minister Tony Blair.  The
British people were warned
that the death toll for Britain would be several
hundred at least.  At 11 o'clock
the whole of Europe stopped for three minutes as a
mark of respect.

The Queen went to St. Paul's Cathedral with other
members of the Royal Family
and the American Ambassador to London.  The service
commenced with the
singing of 'The Star Spangled Banner' and ended with
'Battle Hymn of the Republic'
Among the congregation were members of the American
community here, tourists
and people currently stranded here unable to get home.
 Outside the service was
relayed via loudspeakers to the crowd.

Generally, there is a quiet mood in the air.  People
come home from work, switch
on the television to the rolling news channel and
leave it there.  After all, who would
want to watch a soap opera or a quiz show at a time
like this?  Everyone on trains
and buses can be seen reading their newspapers.  It's
eerie when you find that
the person standing next to you is having the same
conversation as you, what else
is there to talk about just now? - everything else
pales into insignificance.

The hurt and anguish seems to be increasing rather
than diminishing.  We know
that you are all suffering over there, we are hurting
too and we want you to
know that we are with you.

Bob Wilson
London.