Bridle Tapes (was:I am frightened)

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:07:43 -0400

At 6:47 AM -0400 9/14/01, Clyde Hollinger wrote:
>Second, as horrible as these terroristic deeds are, it
>seems from last night's news that the casualty count is more likely to be in
>the 5,000-6,000 range, rather than the earliest projected possibilities.

I should explain (as well as refine) my calculation for the record. I
begin with the 40-50K of normal daily human workers and people with
their daily business at WTC. This was 9AM on Tuesday morning. Not all
of the workforce was on the job at that time, nor were the noontime
tourists. But at the beginning of that workday, as it happened to be,
there might only be 30-35K. We know the number of city rescue
workers, fire and police and the numbers on the two planes, ~200 and
156 respectively. These known casualties barely constitute 0.3% of
the load of people in those towers. If the prevalent projection is
5-6K, are we to expect to see 24-30K survivors come out of that pile
of ground concrete. I'll be very interested to see if that does
happen. But everything inside that building got run through a
concrete grist mill. Our reconstructive surgery is not that good.

No, we just witnessed twin Titanics sinking. It was swift and
horrific. I think we should get used to a list of casualties in the
neighborhood of 20-25K, not just lost but not recovered either. But
given the manner of the collapse, we should reasonably expect that
30-35K humans were lost in that disaster. This is a royal bloody mess.

Which reminds me, I now have to go hang a set of bridle tapes in a
vertical action, the first one in five years. How tight do I make the
tape, and can I hot-melt the tab to the wire hook? Can I check back
for an answer in two hours (ie., 8pm EST), and maybe do a chat room
on it?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Reality is the first casualty of technology
     ...........NPR Commentator Daniel Schorr