Weinreich unisons(wasTuneoff)

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 01:14:53 +0200

Hello,

Speaking of sound and unisons here is the text I've send recently to a
friend, explaining what happens this day :

I am very exited today because I've find a way to tune with the sound of our
best tuner. (P.S. He is the chief tuner at the concert service)

Basically he stretches a lot but what characterize his sound the most is
that it projects a lot and it is very lively and strong.

I was always looking for a good way to tune in this mood, as mine is more on
the mellow and calm side, with less tension /presence may be.

I've find a good method today , when tuning a (very) bad Boston 125
vertical, with a very short sound in the treble.

First I tune the sound in the rebound, so I play with my left hand firm
enough to hear clearly the second part of the sound , the second part of the
extinction curve. This I do usually, so  the other thing new is that, I tune
my unisons when playing the octave together (3 strings bass note, 2 strings
high note, then I make simultaneous a good working octave with the max
stretch allowed, and the rebound of my unison (2 strings, then 2 other
strings). That way I tune and voice my piano with the tuning of unisons.
(repeating the note often, as the sound was not long)

Funny, when tuning as that there is no problem to check 17th, 12ths, 5ths ,
3ds double octaves and so on because the sound is so clear and strong it is
easy to hear any interval . -(!)
I changed the way I hear, this time playing a little strong (forte), but I
am sure I can try to have the same result when paying softly, as I've see
Mr. X does (and as I do usually, as it is less tiring)

What is more fun than never, is that this 125 cm piano sounded like if he
had long strings, and with a very strong presence.

Indeed when listening to unisons closely, some beats (high partials) take
place , I feel I put a light beat in the treble to reinforce the effect of
the rebound of the sound. (and add length)

But the piano was really even and nice to play. I've meet this sound often
when I came after 2 of the best tuners of the concert service . Actually,
one of them I've see tuning all the piano with the sustain pedal wedged
(engaged), he told me that it helps him (probably not to close  his
unisons ) when he is tired to have the good sound. I've tried that sometime
too, once, the pianist tells me " I don't know what you've done to the piano
but he is singing incredibly " (he even checked that with the sound engineer
as he does not believe his ears) .

That is a very pleasant way to tune, but I think it is possible only in
large rooms with a little sustain. I like too to tune with a mellow sound,
even a dark sound sometime, very quiet. The hammer is used as a voicing
tool, so I check the notes playing consecutives notes, little scales , and
as that I keep a musical reference when tuning.

Voila,

I will be very interested in your experiences too.

With best regards.

Isaac OLEG